26 Aug 2016Shoreline Rules Comment Period (July 15 – Aug 26) begins
From: Marian Berejikian [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:40 PM
To: Marian Berejikian
Subject: Ecology's shoreline rules - preliminary draft now available
The WA State Dept. of Ecology (Ecology) is in the process of amending several of the rules related to the Shoreline Management Act (SMA) which establishes a cooperative program of shoreline management between local governments and the state. The SMA requires Ecology to review and update shoreline master program rules as needed. The last rule update was in 2011 and focused mostly on geoduck aquaculture. Other associated chapters are being included in this update to improve clarity and consistency across the rules.
Ecology is releasing a preliminary draft of proposed amendments. This is an optional step to allow people an opportunity to provide early input and it helps us shape the formal proposal. The preliminary draft rules are available for informal comment July 15 -August 26, 2016.
Changes to the rules aim to:
1. Clarify the process to comply with the periodic review requirement per RCW 90.58.080 as the first round of Shoreline Master Program (SMP) reviews will be due to Ecology June 2019;
2. Create an optional joint process for approving SMP amendments;
3. Clarify the planning process for water-dependent uses including salmon net pens;
4. Add a reference to Ecology guidance to address sea level rise; and
5. Ensure consistency with amendments to statute and capturing any administrative updates since the last rule revision.
You can find more information, including how to provide input, by visiting Ecology’s web site at http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/sea/rules/1506ov.html
For more information please contact:
Michelle Wilcox, Department of Ecology
Shorelands & Environmental Assistance Program
Phone: 360-407-7676, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org